Saturday, April 18, 2009

Sneaking away for a little R&R

I recently went away for my first vacation ever. Unbelievable right? 30 years old and never been on vacation, what a shame. After a couple of hectic weeks, I was determined to go away and recharge my battery. I felt like I was running on empty! Since the child had the whole week off of school I gladly shipped him off to grandmas house (thanks Faith!) and set out to plan my getaway.

Since I've barely traveled outside of the northeast, I decided to be a little adventurous. Even though some may think that my decision to take a vacation all by my lonesome is pretty brave, its just that sometimes I prefer my own company the best. That way I can do what I want to do when I'm ready to do it and not have to wait for anybody. Don't get me wrong, I would've liked to have had someone to chill with during my trip but it didn't work out that way so I was determined to have a good time regardless.

I ended up in booking a trip to New Orleans, the crescent city. I spent 4 wonderful days in this beautiful city. My hotel was in the French Quarter so I was within walking distance of everything. What I enjoyed most was the food. I think I gained like 10 pounds on beignets alone. I went to Cafe Du Monde about twice every day I was there.
Of course I did all the other touristy things like the trolly ride Uptown and walking around the Garden District. Had some po'boys and jambalaya, hit up the French Market and got tipsy on Bourbon street. My other hangout spot was the yarn store on Chartres street called The Quarter Stitch (sorry no web site). I absolutley loved this store. It was so vivid and lively in there, it makes you want to smile as soon as you walk in.Thats the back of Carol's head in that picture. She was lovely to chat with, I could've spent hours in that shop talking to her. And the shop dog, Leif Ericsson was such a cutie pie. You would think he had never been pet before the way he begs for attention. He even posed for a picture. I didn't get a chance to take a picture of my purchases but they wrap your yarn up for you like a present with tissue paper, confetti and lost of brightly colored curling ribbon. I don't even want to open it, thats how cute it is. All in all, I would go back to Nawlins just to visit this shop again.I'll have more pictures on my flickr and facebook but I just had to blog about this cute little shop. I know some may have questions about NO after Katrina but to tell you the truth, I opted out of taking the tour of the devestated areas. It's not that I don't care but I'm a very sensative person and I would've been boohooing the whole time so I just chose not to go there. I do highly suggest that if you're looking for a nice little getaway, New Orleans is the place to go. The weather was nice, the food was great and the people are so hospitable. So far, this is my favorite (and only) vacation.

18 comments:

Kamika said...

Congratulations Miss Lady! Sometimes you just have to go by yourself. I'll be doing that myself next week. Looks like you had a lot of fun! Those beignets look good and the shop looks so much fun! I'm happy you had a good time!

Virtuous said...

OOOH! SO well deserved!!!! Great trip!!

AND you found a great yarn shop! Woot!!

I really want to be brave and travel by myself one day too, one of my close girlfriends does it all the time! :o) It really shows you can't let anything or anyone stop you!! Luvs it!

Anonymous said...

Ooh Congrats on taking your 1st first vacation! Their is nothing better than going to another city or place different from where you live. I might have to check N'awlins one day in the future. You make it seem like such a nice place.

Tawana said...

Oh the anonymous comment was me.

Anonymous said...

Oh wow just look at that beignet and all the sugar...You could just roll around in it practically. And that store looks like the most fun. Glad you had an awesome time!

Rosi G. said...

Good for you, girl! I'm sure you needed that trip. I know what you mean about no vacations. I haven't been on a vacation in.....maybe 14 years? There have always been 1 or 2 day getaways but those are not really vacays. I would love to go away alone one day.

Shameka said...

Wait.. did I read that right? You got tipsy on Bourbon Street? OK, you have to promise to take me with you next time. I am talking about the yarn shop (cough cough.. ahem.. clears throat). So happy for you that you got away and had a blast. And, I agree. No-No to the boo-hooing. It was a a happy time.

Jeanine said...

Oh WOW. That is AWESOME! Good for you. So glad to hear you had a good time.

Necia said...

Sounds like you had a GREAT time. We all deserve some me time, here and there.

Anonymous said...

I totally get the vactioning alone thing. You probably would not have been to frequent the same restaurant twice daily with someone else. And I hate rushing OUT of a yarn store. This only happens when I'm with someone.

Trying to navigate around the schedules of others is difficult too. Good job going by yourself.

Anonymous said...

I think it's wonderful that you traveled by yourself. I love New Orleans and now I'm jealous of you too. Shameka goes to WEBS and you go to New Orleans. Let's see. Where have I been lately? Oh yeah, Newark!

Lyrically speaking said...

Wow, sooooooooooooooooo HAPPY to hear that you went away and you got to share some great pics with us, thanks for sharing...glad you enjoyed yourself, you deserved it!!

I'll be seeing you soon in June, can't wait!!

Susie said...

What a great vacation, first or otherwise!

annmarie said...

well then, may this be the first of many, many more wonderful vacations! :)

Maia said...

How fun! We went to New Orleans last spring and I could have taken all those pictures! I think I did! Great food, great people, great music!

Lyrically speaking said...

Hey, where are you? We miss you here, come back soon

Sahara said...

Fantastic! I'm glad you had a good time. You have to recharge your batteries, and sometimes, traveling with others doesn't do it. That's why I love my annual to Cape May.

Susie said...

New Orleans sounds perfect especially for a first vacation!